Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Frustration! Some Days it is Hard to be a Fan!



Some days, I just want to quit following golf altogether! I don't even think its worth mentioning that I am sick and tired of being subjected to the Tiger saga, day after day after day after day - for far too long already. Every minute of every event and every Golf Channel segment seems to focus on it. Every XM and Sirius radio host goes on and on about it. It is unbearable! It boggles my mind how they just can't understand that people are saturated and sick of it! This isn't to say that Tiger Woods has no fans, or that I particularly dislike him. I recognize him as being the best golfer and I wish him nothing but the best. But, please shut up about it... at least until he actually plays a round in a tournament!

In fact, the only break we ever seem to get is when the programing switches to John Daly's reality show, or the Hank Haney Project (when Hank isn't plugging the fact that he's Tiger's coach, of course).

Having said that, the new Hank Haney project is not very good... Hank may be a great coach, but Charles Barkley made up for what Haney lacked in on-screen energy during the last version of the show. I can't blame Hank, because who could have known that Ray Romano would be so impossible to like? This guy is not funny at all - a bit of a wet noodle so far, actually. You can almost feel the frustration Hank has toward the guy. All I can say is: "Hey Ray, shut up and listen to Hank, you neurotic man!" Argh!

So, at best I may tune in for the last show, to see if Haney actually manages to help Ray more than he "didn't" help Chuck, but I doubt I will.

If you ask me, the only compelling program on the Golf Channel so far this year has been "Being John Daly". In fact, the whole premise appealed to me, when I first heard about it through Daly himself. Finally, the Golf Channel would be giving golf fans something to get behind! One of the most popular golfers of all time is taking meaningful steps to turn things around and regain his place as an elite golfer. Sounds like a great theme for a show!

In case you've lived on Mars since the 1990, you should already know that John Daly has more talent than most other golfers combined. I've been told as much by people who have seen him play many times from inside the ropes and who know the sport better than I do. Having said that, Daly's lifestyle has often been in the way of his career and he has slipped a very long way, so the journey back to the winner's circle is promising to be a long and interesting ride. Hence the idea for the show, undoubtedly.

After three episodes, I can report that it has been even better than anticipated.

At a time when the LPGA is struggling to keep sponsors, at a time when the PGA has a number of contracts to renew, at a time when sponsors want more interaction with players, and a time when golf fans are begging for a reason to watch golf, John Daly is a draw... He attracts viewers and he bends over backwards for sponsors, he sells merchandise and he sells tickets.

So what does the PGA establishment do? You bet!!! After three consecutive cuts made and real signs that John Daly's game is starting to come around, tournaments stop inviting him! The exemptions dry up. It is the ultimate cosmic joke, isn't it?! Daly isn't part of the Tavistock Cup of course, and obviously doesn't qualify for the Masters this year. Add to that the fact that Arnold Palmer didn't invite him and the Shell Houston Open also did not grant him an exemption and we won't be seeing Daly play in any event for a month, maybe more.

Perhaps I'm just being morose, because I feel bad for Daly who is really working hard. But, knowing what I know, I have no desire to watch golf at all. In particular, I refuse to watch Arnold Palmer's Invitational.

As I have said before, the many exemptions given to Arnold's grandson Sam Saunders (to a growing number of tournaments), at a time when veterans like John Daly, David Duval, Rocco Mediate, Steve Elkington, Chris DiMarco and others are all in need of exemptions, makes me resentful. The fact that nobody at any golf media outlet has had the courage to say a damn thing about it is shameful.

But rather than beat a dead dog any more, I just feel like turning the channel. Maybe I'll catch a little hockey, or maybe bowling for dollars. I have my passes to the Masters, of course, and will be there to walk Augusta National, but until then I'm not sure I want anything to do with this sport for a while.

I will undoubtedly feel better in the morning, but tonight... I don't feel like a fan of golf at all.

7 comments:

  1. If Big John, who I personally like, wanted to continue playing in Arnold's tournament perhaps he should have shown up for the pro-am after Arnold gave him a previous exemption. You reap what you sow, which Pete forgot to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree with you more Pete! He (John Daly) is a great guy and follow him on Tweeter...I also like to watch David Duval and wish him the best at his game!

    Texas Golfer.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous: As I recall, John was given the wrong tee time. He also followed-up by flying in and playing a round with four employees of the sponsor company. Maybe Arnold held a grudge... but at the time he was apologetic to John for the mishap. Maybe my info to that effect is wrong, but I don't think so. It seems to me that this is more about making room for Sam Saunders. Right or wrong, that's my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, dude, if you dont have anything good to talk about than dont say anything at all. Tiger is the #1 athlete in the WORLD, so it should be no surprise to you or me or anyone else for that matter that they keep talking about him.

    like i said, if you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all. lifes to short to complain all the time and worry about other people. worry about yourself, you only get one shot at life, why worry about others? hahaha its not that hard to think about the positives in life than the negatives...atleast thats how i look at it, and im only 20!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi anonymous 20 year old... Since I'm not just 20, I know a few things you might not have learned yet. Life isn't always positive (although most of the stories on this blog are of a very positive nature). Having said that, if a bird craps on your head son, calling it anything other than crap doesn't make you "positive" it makes you ignorant. Thanks for the feedback... Given that this blog gets thousands of hits per day, I'll assume that people like it just fine.

    WallStreetPete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing the exact truth. I appreciate it and so does my daughter. And it made me feel good. I like it when people stand up for John. I'm his "Meemaw" and have been for 37 years!!! I'm also his number #1 fan and if you don't believe me, just ask John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've met John Daly at Southwind in Memphis (and after at East End Grill down the street). He is the last person I'd want my kids to consider as a role model. I've stopped watching Golf channel this year as a result of their decision to showcase him.

    ReplyDelete