Thursday, March 18, 2010

Why?

On the heels of a pathetic period of golf reporting, predicated on the media's obsession with the trials and tribulations of Tiger Woods, I was reaching maximum frustration levels as a golf fan. Then the last drop, in a glass already too full, came when CBS golf writer Steve Elling posted two hatchet pieces on the network website.

I won't rehash the stories, but suffice it to say that they were vindictive and startlingly inaccurate attacks on a particular PGA Tour golfer, who I happen to like.


I was angry at Elling for using the considerable forum that was generously provided to him by CBS, to launch obvious personal attacks and to settle scores, rather than to write substantive stories about the PGA Tour. This also made me quickly realize that such a platform could become a powerful tool. Since the media controls the message, the media becomes the message - so I plotted various possible ways to become the anti-golf-media!

I want to be Steve Elling's alter-ego, so-to-speak. I want to take the issues that are discussed in golf publications and in golf media and dissect them. I want to put my spin on things and I intend to use square grooves, if you catch my drift.


A few days ago, official news broke that Tiger Woods was returning to play at the Masters. Media reaction was absurd. XM radio and Sirius Satellite radio read the Woods' team press release no less than a dozen times every hour for two days. My resolve grew and I started setting-up this page, which I now hope will become your first choice as the home of intelligent golf talk.

Reporting and commentary are supposed to be concerned with real issues; the what, the why, the who and the how. Sadly, the golf clic has made it such that a story finds its genesis on one golf writer's desk, then soon becomes gospel, which will be repeated in every other major forum.

So, if I have a dream for this modest endeavour, it is that you find a home here where you will feel comfortable enough to comment on the issues that surround the game of golf. I hope to become a moderator of sorts, to lead an intelligent ongoing discussion that goes far beyond the obvious. Lets change the ridiculously one dimensional coverage at most outlets.

Our success will be measured by the size of our eventual following, of course (which stands at zero as I write this). Who knows, maybe I will look back upon these first few paragraphs in amazement some day...

As they say, nothing ventured - nothing gained.

Welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a follower! You are now bookmarked in my browser, and shall be called upon during the lulling hours of my "learn to use basic excel" class. I will be looking forward to it, you're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete