Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hard to Watch - Even Harder to Understand



Although I suspect that certain people enjoy watching Tiger Woods suffer, I find it tough to see someone of that stature fall so far. Maybe Tiger Woods needed to be knocked off his pedestal, but it is hard to understand how anyone could enjoy seeing a man surrounded by so much self-inflicted grief.


Tiger Woods "the golfer" is an exceptional, almost mystical figure. We have witnessed all the glory and the dominance. With his ability, obvious since he was only a child, Tiger Woods will still certainly be remembered as the best golfer of all time.


Tiger Woods "the man" however is still a mess. His life is a series of question marks and frankly the interview today is just further proof of that.


Part of me wishes I could still "like" Tiger Woods, but I find it almost impossible. He just isn't my type of guy. This isn't about whether or not he is flawed, because I recognize that we are all flawed in some way - even people with extraordinary talent in one way lack in some other way. As I have written before, I can disregard almost any past transgressions to anyone who seems genuine and grounded. I have never felt that from Tiger. I can't relate...


Then, there is the lingering feeling that this is all a big show. I have had media training. I know the techniques that consultants teach people who are faced with questions and I understand the process that allows someone like Tiger Woods to deal with uncomfortable media situations. As such, I recognized that most of the answers seemed prepared again during his interview today. Tiger appeared well rehearsed and his repetitive theme sounded heavily scripted.


Having said that, Tiger Woods faced some serious questions - questions he is not really obliged to answer. Whether you accept answers such as "it was all in the police report", or believe anything he had to say for that matter, it must be gut wrenching for a man like Tiger Woods to face the world in this particular light. The word "humbled" comes to mind...


The stark reality is that Tiger has lost more than just a few lucrative sponsors. And, though we are often quick to judge, we must remember that HE is the one who lives with the loss of tremendous public support and respect, he is the one who has become the late-night punch line, he is the one who must face his wife, face his mother, face his friends, and face the world to a certain extent, while wearing his sins across his chest.


So, even if I am not prepared to "like" Tiger Woods, I am also no longer willing to persecute him. As Frank Nobilo said, we can not canonize him for having done this interview, but we can accept that these are steps that he is taking to begin rehabilitating his career and his life.


As he returns to competitive golf, the backlash is really only just beginning. The tough part is not behind him - not by a long shot. It will be interesting to see if Tiger Woods can behave with the utmost grace now, in the face of the unspeakable rudeness he will almost surely encounter.
That is but part of the price he will pay for having had all his flaws publicly exposed.




No comments:

Post a Comment